To support its charitable and educational programming, Rapids Riders routinely charges participation fees related to its training and events.
To the extent you’d like to participate but cannot afford to do so, Rapids Riders may be able to waive or lower the fee depending on your demonstration of financial need as well as the number of requests received.
All requests to waive or lower a fee should be accompanied by one of the following:
- Any termination letter or notices demonstrating lack of employment
- Tax Return from prior year, Form 1040
- Copy of pay stubs from last 2 months
- Proof of enrollment in Free or Reduced Lunch Program
- Proof of enrollment in state, county, or federal assistance (i.e., food stamps, Medicaid, or other government assistance program)
Canoe U Refund Policy
If you cancel the amount refunded will depend on when you cancel.
- If you cancel at least seven days prior to the first open-water session a full refund will be given.
- If you cancel with fewer than seven days before the first open-water session one-half your tuition will be refunded.
- No refund will be given if you cancel after the first open-water session.
What do we mean by "open-water" session? This refers to class sessions scheduled to be held on lakes or rivers. Specifically, these are called "Canoe-U Weekend" and "Graduation Weekend" on this website. It does not refer to the Introductory Classroom & Pool Session. What we are trying to say is that if, after you attend the Classroom/Pool session, you decide this isn't for you — That's cool, here's your money back. But you have to let us know and the sooner the better for everybody.
If, for any reason, Rapids Riders does not hold the course you enrolled in a full refund will be given. One reason for not holding a course would be if not enough people sign-up. There are other reasons, but that's the most likely.
Rapids Riders and its volunteer ACA instructors reserve the right to recommend alternative paddling opportunities to any potential student or refuse any application, in such a case you shall receive a full refund.
Canoe U Essential Eligibility Criteria (EEC)
Rapids Riders instructional courses are open to all individuals who acknowledge the ability to perform the following essential eligibility criteria.
- Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
- Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
- Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
- Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion
- Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
- Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
- Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket*
- Get in/out or on/off of a paddlecraft independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance*
- Independently get out and from under a capsized paddlecraft*
- Reenter or remount the paddlecraft following deep water capsize independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance*
- Maintain a safe body position while attempting skills, activities and rescues listed in the appropriate Course Outline, and have the ability to recognize and identify to others when such efforts would be unsafe given your personal situation*
* To participate in adaptive programs, participants must acknowledge only the first six EEC listed above. Entry-level adaptive programs will involve teaching and practicing EEC #7-11.
Terms of Service
All messages posted on this website express the views of the authors, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the owners and administrators of this site.
By registering on this site you agree not to post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or that violate any laws. We will permanently ban all users who do so.
We reserve the right to remove, edit, or move any messages for any reason.
We are committed to respecting and protecting your online privacy.
We only collect your personal information when you voluntarily sign-up for a Canoe U course, make a donation to Rapids Riders, or when you register to use the discussion forum.
Any information collected from you will not be disclosed for any reason with the exception of the information we provide to the American Canoe Association when you complete a Canoe U course.
Access to our website is generally unrestricted, and you may browse it anonymously.
This website contains links to third-party websites. Rapids Riders is not responsible for the privacy provisions of those other websites.
The Rapids Riders web server automatically collects information that is essential to operating and maintaining the website's security. The information collected includes the IP address of your computer or network, your top-level domain (for example .com, .org, .net), the type of operating system and web browser you are using. We do not match this technical information with any other personal information we may have about the site's visitors.Some portions of the website may distribute small pieces of information — called "cookies" — that allow any combination of the following:
- Enable your web browser to remember which pages you have already visited
- Confirm you have access to certain pages that require authentication (logged-in)
- Provided security related to the prevention of certain types of hacking exploits
If you have concerns about cookies you can change your web browser settings so it will not accept cookies. Most of this site will function properly if the browser has cookies disabled. However, there are pages that require that cookies are enabled. For instance, pages that require visitors to be logged-in only work with cookies enabled.